Getting to Harbour Island in the Bahamas usually takes a little planning since Harbour Island is an island located off of the North-Eastern coast of North Eleuthera in the Bahamas.
To get to Harbour Island in the Bahamas, you will typically need to travel by air and then take a boat or ferry to reach the island. Here are the general steps to reach Harbour Island:
- International Flight options:
- Fly into Nassau. Start by booking a flight to Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS) in Nassau, the capital of the Bahamas. Many major airlines offer direct flights to Nassau from various international destinations.
- Fly Directly into Eleuthera. Direct flights to Eleuthera are available from both Ft. Lauderdale and Miami International Airports.
- Domestic Flight or Water Taxi from Nassau: If you fly into Nassau you have two options to reach North Eleuthera. From Nassau, you have two options to reach Harbour Island. You can either take a domestic flight or a water taxi.
- Domestic Flight: Several local airlines operate daily flights from Nassau to North Eleuthera Airport (ELH), which is the nearest airport to Harbour Island. The flight duration is typically around 20 minutes. Once you arrive at North Eleuthera Airport, you can proceed to the next step.
- Water Taxi: If you prefer a scenic journey, you can take a water taxi from Nassau to Harbour Island. Water taxis depart from the Potter’s Cay Dock in Nassau and take approximately 1.5 to 2 hours to reach Harbour Island. It is advisable to check the schedules and make reservations in advance.
- Ferry to Harbour Island: Once you arrive at North Eleuthera Airport or the dock in Harbour Island, you will need to take a short ferry ride to Harbour Island itself. The ferry service operates regularly and takes approximately 5 minutes to cross the narrow channel between North Eleuthera and Harbour Island. You can easily find the ferry terminal at the dock and purchase tickets on-site.
Upon reaching Harbour Island, you can explore the island on foot, rent a golf cart, or use bicycles as the primary modes of transportation. The island is relatively small, making it convenient to navigate and explore its beautiful beaches, charming streets, and local attractions.
Remember to check the latest travel advisories, entry requirements, and COVID-19 protocols before your trip, as they may vary and change over time. It is also recommended to book accommodations in advance, especially during peak travel seasons, to secure your preferred options on Harbour Island.